Thursday, April 3, 2014

Time Torn Asunder -- Part One


One looked over at twelve, who had started snoring. One sighed and looked to his left. Two was awake and walking down his front steps. He made his way over to Three's house and called up to her window with a loud whisper.
     
"Psst. Three, are you up?"

Two must have felt One's eyes on him, because he turned to face him. Two's look did not require words to impart meaning. One nodded in response and Two returned his attention to Three's window. It creaked open and a rope ladder tumbled down to the ground. Two clambered up and disappeared into the darkness.

Three weeks prior, One had been unable to sleep and had noticed Two and Three scurrying off into the woods behind their adjacent houses. Now, it is important to note that Three had been seeing Seven for several years and it had become quite serious. There were rumors of wedding bells in the future. One had been struggling with whether to speak out or keep silent. In this passive state, he had done nothing but watched each night. When all lights were dimmed in the late hours of the night, the pair of paramours would meet, yet when their schedules met in the afternoons not a glance was shared, nor a word exchanged. In this manner they had kept their romance hidden from all but One.
After two weeks of these late night dalliances, One could keep silent no longer. He confronted Two late one evening, when he knew that the young man would be up and awaiting his evening companion.  

"Two, we need to talk."

"Oh hey One, what's on your mind?"

The young man's expression shifted instantly when he saw One's stern gaze. 
"Is...there something wrong?"

"You can cut the innocent act son, I know what's going on between you and Three."

"Three and me? What are you talking about?"

"Don't play dumb with me boy. I've seen you two sneaking off every night for the last two weeks. Do you have any idea how bad an idea that is? What if someone saw you? What if Seven were to find out?"
     


Two's shoulders slumped and his head fell. He stared at his shoes and shuffled his feet. When he looked up his face had turned a shade of crimson as dark as One had ever seen a face turn. 

"I..I..."

He looked back at his feet.

"I'm sorry, we didn't think anyone would find out."

Naive child, One thought, someone always finds out.

"Well that was foolish son. How long has this been going on?"

Two looked up with earnest eyes."

"I'm sorry One. It started around two months ago. I was up around my usual time one night. I took a walk around the yard to pass the time. She was up too, looking like she does, you know, and it just happened. We couldn't help it. Please don't tell anyone. We're going to tell everyone at some point, Seven too, but we just aren't ready yet. One, I love her. Please?"

One did not answer for several moments. Two was unsure, but he thought that One's eyes looked misty, and he guessed that One was in a far off place, if just for a moment. One's gaze returned to the young man.

"OK. I'll keep your secret. For now. But you have to come clean. Two weeks, that's all I'm going to give you. If you haven't told at least Seven by then, I'll have to. It isn't fair to him or anyone else."

Relief washed over Two and a smile returned to his face.
     
"Thank you! I'll talk to her about it tonight," he turned to walk away and paused, "Thanks."


One stood, hands in pockets. A faint smile flickered over his weathered features. He turned off the light and settled in to sleep. He dreamed of a far off place, a long past time, and a woman far gone. 

1 comment:

Wericson said...

Clock drama! Thumbs up