"Miss Jackson" is an unwelcome departure from the material on Vices and Virtues. Vices and Virtues returned the band's sound to the realm of their debut record, A Fever You Can't Sweat Out, after a tryst into Beatles land with their sophomore effort, Pretty. Odd.
After giving a few listens to "Miss Jackson" the prognosis for Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die! is poor. My initial excitement at a favorite band releasing new material wore off instantly. For some reason the new trend for pop-punk bands is to embark on a R&B/pop odyssey adventure or something (read my review of Fall Out Boy's Save Rock and Roll here). Panic! appears to have aimed for Fall Out Boy's new 'pop sensibility,' missed, and hit a bus full of puppies. I can't wait for an attempt at this song live. Energy has always been Panic! at the Disco's best attribute, and songs like this give them no way to display it. The song is a snooze.
As much as I disliked Ryan Ross' contributions to Panic! at the Disco, the most noticeable difference post-split is a decline in lyrical quality. Choruses have turned into wannabe-anthemic pop hooks.
I don't want to leave you with the idea that I hate bands for changing their sound. I am a proponent of developing sounds and musical exploration, just not when it is terrible.
I'd love to hear other opinions.
No comments:
Post a Comment