 |
| The facade of Cafe Grumpy |
It's been a month in New York now, so it must be time to write a post about a hipster coffee shop. Fortunately I found one within the first week. I journeyed to Cafe Grumpy once more last weekend, and returned with photos to go along with this review. I can not claim to be a coffee connoisseur, but I can distinguish from the dregs I normally drink and what Grumpy had to offer. There are several locations throughout New York, but I have only been to the one in Chelsea, on 20th Street between 7th and 8th Avenues. Their website can be found here.
 |
| View of from inside the door |
The first thing you notice, or not notice, is that there is a distinct lack of signage. The facade in the picture (above and right, can you find yours truly?) contains all of the visible markings, save a small picture of a grumpy face above the door. While I was saved by someone sitting on the stoop with a coffee cup, my friend was not so lucky and walked past the door several times before realizing what it was.
 |
| A variety of sweets |
Once inside, the feel of the shop is much of what you would expect from a Chelsea coffee house, a worn in physical environment with a youthful feel and creative set up. The main room reminds me of the older homes in Charleston, South Carolina, very long front to back but narrow from side to side. The interior walls are brick, providing a homey feel. There is a variety of seating, with elevated tables in the photo above, an open seating room in the back, and a back patio for sunny afternoons.
 |
| Open seating in the rear |
On my first visit I played it safe and ordered their Colombian blend. Going along with the youthful feel, your order is taken on an iPad, and you write your signature with your finger on the touchscreen. Each cup is hand brewed in front of you, and served in quality dishware. I cannot emphasize how nice it is to get a cup of coffee in a ceramic cup, instead of the cardboard I have become used to. The Colombian blend was delicious, and only sets you back $3, more than reasonable for coffee these days, especially in New York. My friend ordered a cappuccino and gave it high marks.
 |
| The back patio |
My second visit I ordered my usual Americano, which was also excellent. On this visit I also sampled their banana nut bread that mixed well with the flavor of the espresso. After two visits this has become my favorite coffee shop and I highly recommend it to anyone. The staff was friendly and service was prompt. Check out Cafe Grumpy next time you need a cup of coffee New York City, that is, if you can find it.
1 comment:
Looks like an oasis from the hustle and bustle of the city. Particularly like the patio out back. Enjoy.
Post a Comment